Roaccutane is generally used in the treatments of acne by reducing the natural oil (sebum) that the skin produces. The active ingredient of the capsules is Isotretinoin. Isotretinoin is a derivate of vitamin A and member of a medicine group called as retinoids.
Roaccutane is a drug which is used in the treatments of acne (nodular or conglobate acne, or the type of acne that have a risk to leave permanent scares). Roaccutane should be used when the acne has not got better even though the other anti-acne Isotretinoin treatments like antibiotics or skin treatments have been tried. A dermatologist should supervise and monitor the roaccutane treatment from the beginning till the end of the treatment.
Roaccutane Side Effects
- One of the serious side effects is high cholesterol or blood sugar.
- Blood counts may decrease, due to which the risks of anemia and infection seriously increase.
- Practically, in a third of cases of side effects, there is an overdose of vitamin A, which causes dry skin, nasal mucosa and mouth. Simultaneously, fever, nausea and vomiting, headache, sweating, skin itching, rashes, irritation and so on are possible.
- Very rarely occur and the following unpleasant consequences of the drug – numbness of the legs and hands, increased swelling, allergic reactions, pain and aches in the back, stomach, poor appetite, and in connection with it and headache, dizziness. There is also drowsiness, restlessness, depression, insomnia, dry eyes and poor eyesight, hair loss.
- The most rare side effects, but also the most dangerous, are: acute promyelocytic leukemia, pancreatitis and blood clotting, so you should be very careful with taking the medication.
How correctly to use Roaccutane for the treatment of acne?
Use Roaccutane, like any other powerful remedy for skin problems, should only be after a conversation with a doctor who will assess the possibility of using the drug and the risks associated with its use. But, if you came to a positive decision, received a prescription for a medicine and are ready to start a course, you need to know the following:
- So, the tests, before prescribing the medication, are necessary for the correct diagnosis, so that you treat the actual cause of the acne, not the assumptions;
- Application according to the instructions and prescriptions of the doctor will ensure high-quality treatment and effective effect of the drug on the problem;
- The mode of taking the tablets is necessary for the timely delivery of a certain dose of active components in the body struggling with the problem, and the dosage and its adherence – for effective control and not to oversaturate the body with substances contained in the preparation. It can be very harmful;
- Self-termination for some reason can only mean that the previous, say, 5-7 days, you just poisoned the body with chemical preparations, but did not get any effect, and mixing any medicine with others can cause serious side effects, allergy, poisoning (therefore, you can do this only with the permission and recommendations of the doctor);
- If you feel discomfort or serious side effects, you should definitely consult a doctor, maybe a large dose of the drug or an incorrect regimen was prescribed. It is quite real that the individual intolerance of the components manifested itself and so on.