Sibutramine Tablets, when taken by pregnant and lactating women, leads to deformities and developmental anomalies. Dozens of cases of suicides of patients taking the drug were recorded. Its turnover is strictly limited, and in many countries sibutramine is generally banned. But at the same time, drugs and dietary supplements with sibutramine are freely sold in online stores, and on sites for weight loss you can read hundreds of reviews about the drug and its effectiveness. Do not you think there is a contradiction here?
Who can, and who should not take sibutramine?
Since the first days of using sibutramine as a medicine for obesity, doctors have prescribed it for especially severe forms of obesity, when no other methods of treatment have given the desired effect. Roughly speaking, potential “clients” of the drug were patients with the degree of obesity, which can be seen only in TV shows like “The thickest people in the world.” On the streets of our cities to meet such fat people is very, very difficult. In addition, treatment with sibutramine is always complex and involves, in addition to taking medications, a special diet and exercise.
At the same time, the list of contraindications for taking medication is not just long, but very, very long. To date, it is reliably known about the following pathologies and peculiarities of the organism, under which it is strictly forbidden to take sibutramine:
- cardiovascular diseases. To make sure that you do not have hypertension, coronary heart disease, heart rhythm disturbances and cerebral blood supply, pathologies of peripheral arteries with a narrowing of their lumen, a full medical examination of the heart and blood vessels is necessary, since one can not even guess the problems existing there;
- organic causes of excess weight. These are the diseases that lead to obesity – metabolic disorders, thyroid disease, etc;
- anorexia and bulimia caused by the patient’s mental condition;
parallel taking medications that affect the state of the central nervous system, as well as other
- drugs for weight loss;
- problems with the liver and kidneys;
- tendency to bleeding (nasal, ear, etc.), poor coagulability of blood;
- individual intolerance or hypersensitivity to the drug;
- eye diseases like glaucoma;
- alcohol and drug dependence;
- the age of patients is less than 18 years and more than 65 years;
- pregnancy and breastfeeding. The results of the studies confirmed the negative effect of the drug
- on the fetus in the period of intrauterine development;
- prostate adenoma;
- nervous tics of various nature, epilepsy of any form.
If we talk about the incompatibility of sibutramine with other medications, then the list is also quite long, from erythromycin to warfarin. In addition, patients who take this drug can not sit behind the wheel and do other work that requires concentration.
What is dangerous sibutramine?
The most common side effect of the drug is not at all a narcotic buzz, but the next state of withdrawal. Insomnia, unexplained anxiety, sudden anxiety, depression and suicidal moods, as well as weakness, dizziness and headaches, increased heart rate will provide you with a sense of addiction without the usual dose.
In 13% of cases, anorexia is possible, in 11.5% – constipation. Other side effects include vomiting, swelling of the extremities (especially the legs), pain in the muscles, eyes, ears, hearing problems, shortness of breath, disorientation in the space and fever attacks, distracted attention, memory dips down to amnesia (in rare cases) . Headaches and sleep disorder are accompanied by nightmares, and pain in the chest – rhinitis, laryngitis, pharyngitis and other respiratory diseases. Naturally, the cardiovascular system, which can react to the drug both with an ischemic attack, and with a heart attack, up to a complete cardiac arrest, does not stand aside either. Do not exclude skin reactions to the drug – herpes, acne, rash, excessive sweating. And dry mouth, caused by sibutramine, can easily turn into caries.
And one nuance that concerns the conception of a child. In patients after taking Sibutramine Hydrochloride, cases of fetal mutation have not yet been fixed, so it can not be unequivocally said that it causes teratogenicity. However, experiments on rabbits have already led to the birth of offspring with physical abnormalities.